Myself and quite a few other friends turned 30 recently. And this sparked lots of conversation at home about what all we could have or should have done in our twenties so that we don’t get the much abhorred feeling of missing some things in life.And this 30 somehow seems to be a magic number, at least as far as age is concerned!! As People really start feeling old or get the real fear of aging(May be the 7 signs of aging really starts to appear now;-)). And above all if we have kids,we have to manage their schedule as well and get so pressed for time to do our own things(read follow our own passion). This made me think a lot about my life so far. And I was also wondering, if marriage and family life can restrict one from following his or her own path. I don’t think it will, if we make the right choices and know well in advance what we really want in life and have always been doing the right things, may be then we won’t have any disappointments I guess. But this seems to be a separate topic in itself for discussion.( Are we very clear in the beginning itself to state what we want in life and not change that later in life ? I dont think most of us can precisely decide everything in their twenties itself. Sometimes we become prisoner of circumstances and are also susceptible to make wrong choices.So life takes its own path many times!! And we accept many things as they come and move on!! But may not be the case always. May be some are able to figure out things early on in life or accept whatever comes their way instead of trying to change the course of path too much. Or there are the other ones who really work hard and strive to achieve what they want in life come what may and achieve it despite all obstacles. But sadly I’m not one of them and this made me think what made the difference exactly in life.How are some people able to lead a much more meaningful and happier life? How are they able to stay motivated always and reach for higher goals where as some of us don’t??
After all the contemplation, in the end, I just realized that there are some basic principles that we need to follow to have a meaningful life, leave alone a happier one. Or may be leading a meaningful life makes you much happier !! Does it?!! I guess it does!!:-)
So here goes my list!! The things I wished I had told my 20 year old self!!
1. Build your own routine – Leading a routine life is much better than being chaotic in pursuit of pepping up life or getting short term happiness.
2. Learn to be independent- Take your own decisions and stand up for that.
3. Live your own dreams, not others!!
4. Seek and you shall get.
5. No pain, no gain!!
6. Do not become complacent – when success comes real easy we do not realize it’s value.
7. Never stop believing – Have faith (in yourself first)!!
8. Find your passion – If you have a passion pursue it (somehow find ways to pursue it), if you don’t have any or don’t know what it is , find it!! It helps in the long run.
9.Stop complaining, start living!! – Find solutions rather than just pointing out problems.
10. Have some goals – It helps to stay motivated. Keep updating your goals so that you don’t lose track.
11. Experience is the best teacher!!
12. Knowledge and information is power. Stay informed!!
13. Figure out ways to handle failures or setbacks in life. It is so important not to get bogged down or just give up. Be persistent and resilient!!
14. It is equally important to know how to handle success – Do not let it make you complacent. Keep setting new goals and achieve them.Otherwise it is so easy to get bored and lose track which may led to future setbacks.(Remember the hare and tortoise story??!!)
15. It does not matter where we live, but how we live. Make the most of the place where you are!!
16. Learn to use social media diligently – It can become an information overload if not used in the right way.So beware!!
17. Develop people management skills – It is one of the most important soft skill that comes a long way in personal and professional life.
18. Finding the dream job or doing what we love as a career may not happen to all of us or may not be as easy as we think.Your passion may not be as lucrative as the job at hand, which you hate the most.But be patient and not take hasty decisions. Find a way to pursue your passion along with the job that you need to do for a livelihood. Trust me, it is possible. So do not give up on that yet!!
19. But to do the above, you need very good time management skill.So master that !!
20.Pursuing a hobby is as important as studying or working.It helps us as we grow old to relieve from stress and the break the boredom of routine life. So take a book, enjoy a sport or learn an instrument.It comes a long way in your life!!
Ahhh… last but not the least!! KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!! Big problems in life usually need small fixes.We just need to figure out the way.
Most of the things mentioned above are very well known things only, but still we forget to practice this in life on a daily basis and so I wanted to write it down and preserve it in this space. In fact want to read it daily or as often as possible to remind myself about these principles that can help me improve my life at least from my 30’s and get back the missed things of 20’s. And I have listed all these points based on my own experiences in life and what I learnt from them. There may be numerous other valuable lessons of life, but these seemed to be the important 20 learnt from my twenties!!
So Happy Living!! Enjoy each and everyday to the fullest!! Every moment is new!!:-)